Monday, August 11, 2008

Install firefox 3 on debian

Debian always support icewheal.. When I type firefox on the terminal , it show me icewheal windows. At the beginning , I don't know what' wrong.

When I do :

$ whereis firefox
firefox: /usr/bin/firefox /usr/lib/firefox /usr/X11R6/bin/firefox /usr/bin/X11/firefox /usr/share/man/man1/firefox.1.gz

I go to /usr/bin/
and
$ ls -al firefox
firefox -> ../lib/iceweasel/iceweasel

Now I get it..The problem is Debian build a soft link from firefox to iceweasel.

So we need build a new soft link to the real firefox .

I do:
$ mv firefox firefox.old
# ln -s " /home/my/firefox/directory/firefox"

so let 's see what happen in /usr/lib

$ls -al firefox
firefox -> /home/my/firefox/directory/firefox

When I run firefox ,it turn out "need gtk2,10"
Debian just has gtk2.8.

I goolgle it and download gtk2.10 ..It' s deb file , so I just need

$dpkg-deb -x libgtk2.0-0_2.10.13-2~bpo.1_i386.deb ~/lib/gtk2-10

As deb is a specil file, you just need extract it by dpkg and it will install by itself.

If you download the tar.gz file ,you need configure and make install manually.

Now we need tell firefox where is the gtk 2.10.

go to ~/firefox/
do:
$vi firefox

add



#!/bin/sh
#
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/home/panda/lib/gtk2-10/usr/lib"


Now restart the firefox, you can use it now..

I also want to get icon on the debian panel.

So I go to
Applications/Debian/App/System/KMenuEdit

Use this tool to add new icon. Highlight the "Internets"column
type
File/new items/

But after I do this, I still can't see new icon on my Application/Internet

I don't know why.

But I find that I can change the old icon,such as iceweales and opera..

So I change iceweales to firefox and save it.

Now the iceweales icon become firefox icon..

No comments: